Thursday, August 30, 2012

DIY (Kitchen Chalkboard Wall)

I've been on a roll with the paint lately, this time my attention was focused on a long blank wall in our kitchen.  I'd been toying with the idea of turning this mostly-hidden wall into a chalkboard wall for awhile, and when I saw the gorgeous array of Benjamin Moore chalkboard paint colors, I decided to take the plunge.  I thought it would be really fun for James (my 2 1/2 year old son) and a great place to put fun messages, menu items, or little reminders.









I chose Benjamin Moore Chalkboard Paint in Summer Nights (777).  I wanted something blue, but with some aqua in it.  They have every color in the rainbow, so it's hard to chose just one!  










I applied three coats, waiting at least 4 hours between coats per the instructions.  (yes, there is a plant in the sink- I was watering:)  Then, you have to wait 3 days for the paint to cure before you add chalk to it. 

















And then the fun part . . . 










James loved drawing on it! 










And Mama did too!  





I love our white kitchen, but this wall is hidden except when you're looking at it from the mudroom, so it still looks like a white kitchen from most every other view in the house. I like that it's kinda a secret, unexpected fun wall in our home. 





I'm planning to add a trim border to the chalk wall over the weekend, so I'll show you next week!





* * * * *