Sunday, April 15, 2012

Our Mudroom Gets an Update (Envelope Pillows)


Hi friends!  Thank you for checking in on this blog- I really appreciate that you take the time to read about what's been going on over here:)  I hope you had a good weekend.  My weekend was productive.  I fell back in love with . . . . my sewing machine!





I almost gave up on her, swearing she was broken and had failed me forever- even though she was practically new- only to realize that operator error was to blame.  I was trying my hand at sewing envelope pillows for the first time, but my machine wasn't cooperating.  My thread kept pulling and getting stuck, so I gave up and made a couple of no-sew pillows with hem tape (Stich Witchery).  





But I knew I could do better.   I googled some sewing video tutorials and found my sewing angel:  Crafty Gemini.  She has a super easy beginner sewing tutorial, in which I realized that I had been threading my bobbin improperly, thus, my problems with my machine.  





And her envelope pillow tutorial ROCKED!  I ended up making several on Saturday night!












One of the most-used areas of our home is the mudroom.  It's where I enter and exit our home, and use it every. single. day.  James sits on the bench to get his shoes on in the morning.  My purse and keys live here, and countless bags and various collections are stored here during our hectic days.  Shoes live in the woven Target baskets below for easy access. 





Only now, the area has been made prettier with the addition of my home-sewn pillows!  I made the bench cushion back in January with Dwell Studio fabric, but needed to add some decorative pillows to complete the look.  










I bought two more Dwell Studio fabrics over the Easter weekend, Vintage Blossom Dove (the light blue with birds and branches) and botch brindle (the white with tan and light blue paisleys).  Turns out, I had already sewn some brown and light brown pillows for our previous mudroom bench seat, and those pillows went perfectly with my new fabrics.















Here's my pretty envelope pillow, thanks to Crafty Gemini's Video Tutorial!









Our Pillowless Mudroom "BEFORE" 










And Mudroom "AFTER"










Isn't it amazing what a few pillows can do to add visual interest to a space?!  And thanks to Crafty Gemini, I've already sewn accent pillows for our master bedroom, and plan to make some for the guest room soon!





Are you sewing your own pillow covers yet?! 





Linking up with Beth!