Thursday, April 26, 2012

Decorating Under the Staircase

Thanks to my friend Stephanie (Cre8tive Designs, Inc.) and her Pinterest board, I found a lovely velvety grey-blue Target settee with nailhead detailing for under $300.  Although I originally thought it would be perfect in our entryway, for now it's made a home under the stairs, an area of our home that was previously barren.



Today, I wanted to show you the progression in this little area of our home with the Target settee.  I originally started with some pillows I already had on hand and the silver side table I got at Home Goods.










It was an improvement, but still lacking.  The colors were drab and weren't really showing off the settee like I'd hoped, so I made envelope pillows using the two fabrics from our dining room and living room drapes.  I think the two patterns mix nicely together. 










I also changed out the blue flowers for these two faux leaf branches from Hobby Lobby.  The woven basket is from West Elm (y'all know I love my baskets and trays!)  I'd been wanting to get an area rug for that space, but hadn't gotten around to it until now.  I found a 6-foot round rug at Pottery Barn and it was "free" because I had a gift certificate and rewards points:)  (I can feel my husband rolling his eyes at my use of the word "free" here!)  The rug is nice- very thick and soft.














I liked how it was looking, but wanted to add another layer, so I brought in this lime ombre throw from West Elm.  I like the contrasting color so much- it's fresh!  They also sell it in coral. 















I'm liking how this area is coming along, but wonder if I should put something on the wall?  Perhaps a round mirror?  Or is the blank space nice?  I get anxious if there's too much going on visually in one area and we do have a large framed family photo on the adjacent wall.  





* * * * * 





It finally hit me this weekend that our home is really coming along, feeling like home.  More spaces and rooms have been given the love and decorative touches.  When we moved in nearly two years ago (it will be two years in July 2012!), we literally started from scratch.  It's nice to finally look at all the progress we've made and feel a sense of satisfaction with all the little touches that make it ours.  I love being home.  





Have you taken the time to step back and admire the progress you've made in your home?  I hope so.