Monday, November 4, 2013

Organized Shoes


Over the last year or so, I've been slowly editing the contents of my closet and rearranging things.  I've gotten rid of clothes I never wear and items that no longer fit.  It always helps me to let go of things when I know I'm giving them to someone who will get more use out of them.  And now that our weather has changed to cooler temps, it was the perfect time to take a good Fall inventory.  My goal is to be able to walk into my closet and have only options in there that I know I will wear and feel good in. No scratchy sweaters or too-tight jeans.  No closet-full of "nothing to wear"! And now I can find out what I'm "missing", like a good well-fitting 3/4 length coat and a faux leopard fur vest! I'm also working on organizing everything in a way that makes sense and is easy to upkeep.  





To freshen things up in my closet, I painted the island a very light high gloss pink (a color so pale it was barely discernible in photos) almost exactly a year ago.  After living with it for some time, it really grew on me and I had left over paint, so I painted the inside shoe shelves in the same color, mainly to cover all the scuff marks inside.  I'm hoping the glossy paint will prevent against scuffs in the future and be easier to wipe clean.










The pink paint is Sherwin Williams Venus Pink, acrylic, high gloss.  See how light it is? 















Having lived with teeny-tiny closets the majority of my life, I really appreciate having more space to store my shoes.  When I designed my closet, I counted how many pairs of shoes I had and it was about 40, so I made sure this shoe shelf could hold about 50 pairs, thinking I don't need to own more than 50 pairs of shoes.    Have you ever counted yours?  Care to share your "number"?  



When we were living in our townhouse I used something like this expandable shoe rack on the bottom of my closet and it worked pretty well.  I put two side by side and they were sturdy enough that my shoes weren't falling down.  A girlfriend of mine has one of these over-the-door shoe racks and she loves it.



Many houses are really lacking closet space, so how do you organize your shoes?  



____________





Tomorrow, I'll be back with a GIVEAWAY for 100 Minted Holiday cards!  So excited for this one! 











____________




On Honey We're Healthy, you can read about Finishing the Year Healthy and Strong. Tomorrow, I will be reporting my progress and sharing a healthy Tex-Mex Casserole with Egg Noodles.  I'm addicted to this meal lately.





                                          ____________









Have a great Monday!